Monday, October 21, 2013

The Thirteenth Floor 1999 8 out of 10


 The Thirteenth Floor   1999 8 out of 10

Have you ever felt like you were living in a computer simulation?  That there were too many coincidental things happening in your life?  Have you ever said “It is such a Small World” when something weird happens?   Well this movie answers that question.  

(Possible unintentional spoilers)

I wanted to revisit The Thirteenth Floor since I’ve referenced this movie many times when things that make you feel like you are living in a digital simulation happen.   My wife had never seen it so I recorded it when I saw it was going to be on.    It is a really interesting Sci-Fi Noir movie about Virtual Reality.  It starts with the death of the owner of a company that is working on virtual reality program.   The plot plays out like a Film Noir detective story, with a detective trying to solve the murder and the main character who seems to be the main suspect trying to solve it as well.    He ends up going into the virtual reality version of the 1930’s in search of answers after a clue.   The people in this digital simulation don’t know they are in a simulation (It is there world).   The revelation of this fact completely rocks the one character in the simulation that discovers this fact.   The movie has some cool twists, including a big wow moment reveal.   It was fun to re-watch it knowing the twist to see the excellent foundation laid down throughout the film that you may not catch the first time around.   I love the noir feel to the film and love the high concept storyline.   I love films like Truman Show, Dark City, and Eternal Sunshine for the Spotless Mind, or anything based on a Phillip K. Dick book.  This movie made me think of several Sci-Fi books that I've read in the past.   If you are a fan of Sci-fi or film Noir check this film out.  I think it is an under appreciated film.


No comments:

Post a Comment