Monday, July 1, 2013

The Dark Knight Rises 2012 5 out of 10


The Dark Knight Rises  2012   5 out of 10

The Dark Knight Rises made me wonder if Batman hasn't gotten too dark.  I found myself 2 hours into this big budget Batman movie wondering why Batman isn't fun anymore.   Batman was trapped at the bottom of some jail doing push ups like a training scene from a 1980's Rocky movie, while the main villain Bane was mumbling through a mask while terrorizing the city of Gotham.   I actually missed the Adam West's  Batman for a moment at this point, because I was wanting Batman to be at least a little bit of a comic book movie instead of a dark look at terrorism and class warfare.  The movie has a great cast of amazing actors that for me felt mostly wasted in this third movie in the Dark Knight  Batman series.   One of the great things about the previous movie was the excellent performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker.  Unfortunately Tom Hardy as Bane is hidden behind a mask the entire movie, which leads to scenes of Bane and Batman mumbling at each other (I still can't stand Bale's annnoying Batman voice).    The movie is way too long, which left me bored by the time anything interesting happened near the ending.  The ending itself was well done,  I just didn't care as much  by the time it rolled around.    I just felt that Batman is maybe taking himself just a little too seriously and becoming too dark to where it isn't enjoyable anymore.   I'm not saying bring back the Zoinks and Blaps of the Adam West Batman,  but maybe Tim Burton had it right with Batman.  Tim Burton's first shot at Batman  was dark and gothic, yet still had that element of fun that the original comic books and Batman TV series had.   I know it is probably not a popular opinion, but  The Dark Knight Rises was kind of a disappointment for me.


Remember the last time Batman was running around  trying to get a bomb away from the city?  Here it is speed up with Benny Hill music

Here is my movie facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment