Saturday, October 20, 2012

Heads will Roll: Severed Heads on TV

I know Halloween is just around the corner, but the severed heads are already rolling all over the place.


Don't get me wrong....I'm not anti severed heads.....I expect severed heads when I go to the movies to see the new Conan The Barbarian movie......Game of Thrones could just as easily be called Severed Heads the series---but that is on Cable.....The Walking Dead  just started season 3 and heads are rolling---being skewered and stabbed all over the screen.   Then I turn into Hawaii 5-0 one of my favorite shows on broadcast TV  (despite its unbelievable story lines and predictability)  and what do I see....A guy riding a horse playing polo and getting his head chopped clean off.  On CBS....The Murder She Wrote channel.    I personally wasn't shocked by it visually --even when they   found a way to show it twice during the episode (since I've seen so many horror movies and I'm pretty much not easily shocked by anything anymore on screen)  but I was shocked that to see something ---that I usually think of as Cable TV viewer warning  rolling around on the polo grounds in the middle of Hawaii 5-0.   There were Headless Horseman jokes and jokes about the other half of his body being over there all so casual.     Again I'm not anti severed head  (I've written Pineappleman stories where the heads roll freely)....but just a little shocked that broadcast TV is now okay with severed heads???  When did severed heads become okay for the broadcast networks?    Sex and drug jokes became okay with Charlie Sheen and 2 and 1/2 Men  and the vile things that are considered jokes with the behavior of  John Cryer's character which is basically a human Golem.   When did I blink and things once reserved for Rome on HBO are now okay on CBS?    

So beware of the severed heads---they are apparently here to stay.





No comments:

Post a Comment