13 Eeire 5 out 10
The movie is about a group of forensic students that are taking a field test with their teacher (Played by Michael Shanks --of Stargate SG1 fame). This field test takes place on a remote island where apparently some illegal biological testing took place on some dangerous criminals. I recorded this film on the DVR off of Chiller TV ---(the TV channel for low budget horror movies that back in the day we would find at local Music Plus VHS rental store). It was described as a bunch of students that come across mutant creatures. The movie was a mixed bag of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.
1. The movie got off to a slow start establishing the forensic students taking their tests on corpses at this remote location. The movie took its time setting
up the story.
2. The movies description wasn't very accurate as its budget didn't really allow for an island full of mutant creatures. I was expecting actual creatures.....not just a couple of prison inmates in what looked like muscle bound Toxic Avenger makeup. I was really hoping to see a bunch of weird creatures.
3. It was the typical: It isn't a zombie movie----but it is really a zombie movie plot. Just because you call something a mutant creature, doesn't mean that it isn't just a zombie. I mean they are undead (zombie)---if they bite you ...you turn into one of them (Zombie) they crave human flesh (zombie). If you are going to make a Zombie movie ----just call it a Zombie movie. Of course a lot of low budget Zombie movies like this that can't afford a bunch of extras --call themselves non-zombie movies so that the people that can watch quality Zombie action every week on Walking Dead---don't actually expect a ton of zombies stalking the victims in the movie.
4. The ending was very abrupt and Michael Shanks ---the one actor I actually know disappears from the story for a good 20 minutes near the end.
1. If you like gore the movie once it got going actually delivers with numerous gory death scenes. It did a good job of providing some nasty visual footage
and some interesting death scenes. At this point I feel like I have seen everything that could be seen in a horror movie, so if a film can deliver something disturbing that you haven't seen or show something you have seen already in an interesting way that is good.
These Toxic Avenger flesh eating mutants sure were ugly.
Here is the trailer