Friday, March 14, 2014

Thor: The Dark World 2013 7 out of 10




Thor: The Dark World 2013 7 out of 10

I watched Thor: The Dark World over the weekend.   I don’t know what it is about the individual Thor's solo movies , but for some reason I just never get fully involved in them.  Maybe Thor just works better as part of an ensemble and isn't meant to be the lead in his own movies?  I really can’t put my finger on it. Thor: The Dark World has some great action sequences and some thrilling  visuals so I should be more engaged in the film.  The movie was good, it just wasn't as good as the Avengers.  Iron Man was capable of keeping the same level as the Avengers and I just felt that despite its special effects  Thor dropped off from that level a little. 

Disneyland vs Magic Mountain analogy?
The best way I can explain it is like the difference between a trip to Disneyland vs Magic Mountain.   When you go to Disneyland you leave that experience with memories.  You fondly remember your trip and all the little moments of magic that happen there.   Disneyland just has something special about it that is hard to explain.   When you go to Magic Mountain you have a  great time while you are there riding thrilling roller coasters all day long.  I mean who wouldn’t enjoy riding one of the world’s tallest wooden roller coasters, but when you leave and the immediate experience is over it seems to be missing something.   You don’t remember it the same way you remember that trip to Disneyland.     I feel that way after watching Thor.  It was a fun roller coaster while I was on it,  but it didn’t leave a lasting impression.  

Maybe it just suffers in comparison
A day later I watched a marathon of the final 13 episodes of the Clone Wars and was far more invested.   I couldn’t wait to watch the next episode and I was excited thinking about all the answers the TV show was answering.  Getting many of the questions in the Star Wars universe answered in 6 hours of entertainment .   I was still thinking about it the next day….where as Thor on the other head was drifting out of my thoughts.   I was surprised by this???   I mean Natalie Portman is in Thor and she is one of my favorite actresses (Star Wars connection).   Why did Thor fade so quickly from my thoughts when it seemed enjoyable at the time of viewing?  Maybe I’m just not that big of a fan of Thor as a lead character.



That being said
 If you liked the first Thor –you will  probably like this one  (especially Loki's role in it).  I'm liking the way the Marvel universe is  forming as an interesting universe . I'm actually interested in seeing more of these Marvel comic book movies as well as watching Agents of Shield each week on TV.  The Avengers was excellent and with Whedon still at the helm I can't wait for the next Avengers.  I'm sure I'll have to check out the next movie in the series leading into Avengers 2 as well which is the Captain America: The Winter Solider.  


My blog on the Avengers is here

My movie facebook page is here



Wedding Paper Divas 30% Off Sitewide Cyber Week 728x90

No comments:

Post a Comment