Monday, April 7, 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 2013 4 out of 10





The Hunger Games: Catching Fire  2013  4 out of 10

A Minority Report: (I wish I was watching that movie instead of this one)....What I mean is an opinion from the minority.
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire was a major disappointment for me.  

Catching Fire meandered  across the screen like a slug slowly making its way to a different section of the garden (Turbo the snail it wasn’t) .   My first attempt at viewing it I fell asleep about 15 minutes into the film.   When I watched the rest of the movie the next day it didn’t hold my attention much better.  The movie took forever to get to the actual Hunger Games (which felt completely forced to me).  The whole concept of another games pitting the previous victors against each other made no logical sense if the government was concerned about Katniss becoming a figure to rally a rebellion around.   If the President really wanted to get things under control he would have killed Katniss off  and pulled a Running Man showing her basking on some tropical island like the previous winners….(Running Man fans will get this reference).  Instead they continue to give her a platform where she can become this figure of rebellion

The movie unfolds in predictable fashion with a less than exciting Games once we actually get to them.   The cheesiness of the other previous winners made me immediately think once again of the Running Man -  (about halfway through the movie I wished I had been watching a remake off that movie instead )  The games themselves despite a few good moments once they first begin quickly get bogged down.  There is a lot more sitting around in the forest  and running away from acid rain  rather than quality action scenes.   I’ve just seen and read a lot better sci-fi than The Hunger Games and I’m just not really impressed with the series after 2 films. 



Bored

I was literally checking e-mail and thinking about finishing up some yard work in the backyard as I waited for the movie to end.   I’m well aware that I’m in the minority  concerning this movie (since it killed at the box office)  but that doesn’t change how I feel about it.  I had just finished watching an episode of Agents of Shield a half an hour before I had started with Catching Fire and I would rather watch another episode of that show (or any other action TV show)  than sit through another Hunger Games movie.   The end itself was okay , if you hadn’t already figured out that is where the movie was going,  which I had very early in the movie.   I would have to say that this ranks up there with Mission Impossible 2 as far as big budget disappointments for me.




My Movie page on Facebook is here  
Nerd Block




Wedding Paper Divas 30% Off Sitewide Cyber Week 728x90

No comments:

Post a Comment