Sunday, April 9, 2017

Arrival 2016 6 out of 10 (Some Quick thoughts on this film)


Arrival 2016  6 out of 10

I really wanted to see this movie when it came out in the theaters. The hype for this film was through the roof.   I was hoping the film would be like some amazing Arthur C Clarke book ...  I guess I set up some expectations that the film wasn't going to meet.   One of my top 10 films of all-time is  Close Encounters of the Third Kind --so I like the genre.   This film was no Close Encounters.

About an hour into the movie I found myself bored and thinking that this movie better have and interesting and satisfying ending.  The film was basically about trying to communicate with this strange aliens that had landed all over Earth and the story moves at a snails pace   Amy Adams stars as the main character --with Jeremy Renner basically just standing around in the background not adding much other than giving her character someone to talk to. Her character starts to break through and talk with the Aliens that are basically giant squids that communicate by making symbols with floatings ink inside their spaceship.  This is pretty much the entire story.  The movie tries to build some tension with the fact that there are eleven other spaceships in eleven other countries that are all racing to decipher the message first.   Of course a message is misread at one point as well causing more tension in the story.  I was expecting the message to read "To Serve Man", but it didn't.  

The end itself was satisfying --but for me it was too little to late.  This story would have worked better as a short story or as an episode of Outer Limits instead of a movie.




Listen to our Movie Podcast here




For All Disney/Pixar/Marvel and Star Wars Reviews  go to my Disney Page

No comments:

Post a Comment